Help! I can smell gas! What do I need to do?
If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak you need to act quickly.
- Call the National Gas Emergency free of charge, 24 hours a day:
- For England, Scotland and Wales - call 0800 111 999
- For Northern Ireland - call 0800 002 001
- For Republic of Ireland – call 1800 20 50 50
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the area
- Turn off gas at meter (unless the meter is in a cellar or basement) or at the tank if you have LPG
- Don't smoke or use electric switches or naked flames
- If you're feeling unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately and let them know you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
- Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check and fix the appliance as soon as you can – and do not use it again until it has been fixed and checked.
Read our advice on Carbon Monoxide here.